If you are new to keeping fish and you are looking for a starter tank, a 15 gallon tank is a great size to begin with. It allows you to keep a small selection of fish and really begin to understand water chemistry, and what is required to care for aquatic creatures, before you move on to bigger tanks.
Not only is a tank of this size ideal for beginners, but it can also be used by more advanced aquarists for breeding or biotope tanks. In this guide below we review the best tanks available, give you fun stocking ideas, and finally, explain the best equipment to keep your fish healthy.
What To Know About 15 Gallon Fish Tanks
Right in the middle of a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon aquarium, a 15 gallon tank is still considered a small aquarium. Most beginner setups at local store are 10 gallons, however a 15 gallon is actually better for beginners.
That extra space gives you more tolerance with the water chemistry. In fact, most beginners don’t realize that the larger the tank, the easier it is to keep the water in the tank stable.
This tank is also perfect for more experienced aquarists who are looking for a small tank which can be used in emergencies as a hospital tank for sick fish, or as a quarantine tank for new fish before adding them to the existing setup.
It also makes the perfect size for a breeding setup for fish keepings who are taking their hobby to the next level. These tanks come in a range of different shapes and sizes, some are thin and long, others are short and tall. The best tanks for most fish that would live in a 15 gallon fish tank are those that have the largest footprint.
Due to the size of these tanks, they are perfect for small spaces in your home or office.
15 Gallon Fish Tank Dimensions
- A standard 15 gallon aquarium tank is 24 x 12 x 12 inches. However, they come in lots of different shapes and sizes depending on what you’re looking for.
- You could choose a high 15 gallon aquarium, which are usually 20 x 10 x 18 inches.
- Whilst empty these tanks weigh around 20lbs, compared to 170lbs when full.
Best 15 Gallon Fish Tanks
Best Value Starter Kit: Fluval Flex 15 Gallon Aquarium Kit
Best Unique 15 Gallon Tank
If you’re looking for a tank which is out of the ordinary, this hexagonally shaped aquarium is perfect for you.
This stylish aquarium has a distinctive curved front which allows you to see all your plants and fish with ease. With a black trim around the edges, base and top, it will fit in well in any modern home.
It comes with an LED lamp, which is great for promoting the growth of a wide range of plants, and will also enhance the color of your fish. The LED lights can be controlled using a remote control, and can be set to different colors, as well as a few fun effects such as faded cloud, and lightening.
This kit also comes with a powerful filtration system which will deal with all the tanks biological, chemical and mechanical filtration needs.
Aquarium Dimensions: 16(W) x 15(D) x 15(H) inches.
- Plenty of room in the back section to add your own heater.
- 15 different light settings, with a dimmer switch to replicate their natural setting.
- Stylish and sleek design with the bowed front.
- The filtration system is excellent.
- Black background which doesn’t suit all fish.
- The slits in the intake vent are quite large so small fish could slip through.
- It’s not easy to change the lights if you want to add different ones.
- The hood has a flimsy feel to it.